Tuesday, March 9, 2010

metaphysical

Metaphysical poets were a loss group of poets which existed in the 16th and 17th. This group developed as a form of defiance against the flowery romantic poetry of their predecessors. Rather metaphysical poets use concise diction of everyday speech. The most important of these poets were john Donne and George Herbert. Metaphysical poetry employs paradoxical images and relies on intellectual wit and learned imagery as well as much satire. Metaphsycial poets often focus on a number of themes including love, and religion however they analyze these things rather than enjoy them. Also poems are usually arguements.
"air and angels" by john donne
Twice or thrice had I lov'd thee,
2Before I knew thy face or name;
3So in a voice, so in a shapeless flame
4Angels affect us oft, and worshipp'd be;
5 Still when, to where thou wert, I came,
6Some lovely glorious nothing I did see.
7 But since my soul, whose child love is,
8Takes limbs of flesh, and else could nothing do,
9 More subtle than the parent is
10Love must not be, but take a body too;
11 And therefore what thou wert, and who,
12 I bid Love ask, and now
13That it assume thy body, I allow,
14And fix itself in thy lip, eye, and brow.

15Whilst thus to ballast love I thought,
16And so more steadily to have gone,
17With wares which would sink admiration,
18I saw I had love's pinnace overfraught;
19 Ev'ry thy hair for love to work upon
20Is much too much, some fitter must be sought;
21 For, nor in nothing, nor in things
22Extreme, and scatt'ring bright, can love inhere;
23 Then, as an angel, face, and wings
24Of air, not pure as it, yet pure, doth wear,
25 So thy love may be my love's sphere;
26 Just such disparity
27As is 'twixt air and angels' purity,
28'Twixt women's love, and men's, will ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment